Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fire King Charm Azur-ite



My Fire King Azur-ite Depression glass is one of my favorite things, part of my Great Grandmother's collection, recently given to me by may aunt. The set is very special to me and I feel appreciative to be trusted with the set. The delicate pale blue glass is just stunningly beautiful. Blue is my favorite color, from the endless summer blues of hydrangeas, to the daydreaming blues of the sky, to the majestic blues of the ocean, to the softest iridescent blues that shimmer in mother of pearl, I just love blue. 

My father's family is crazy over antiques, collecting & selling and keeping the heirlooms within the family. We spent much cherished family time traveling to antique shops, auctions, and old barns through New England and Amish country. Those were the good old days before the internet and ebay. The days you just took off in the car in search of treasure and you never knew what you were going to find. For sure your hands were going to get dirty and at some point you might be holding your nose.






The quality and detail of antiques has a certain charm about them, while some have sentimental value, others invoke memories from childhood, and some you just fall love and have to have. Of course, if you purchase something you love then it is worth every penny.





Azurite includes a square pattern called "charm" produced from 1950-1956 and a "swirl" pattern produced from 1949-1962. From 1951-1960 markings would be Oven Fire Ware Made in the U.S.A. and from 1960- late 1960's the markings would be Anchor Hocking Oven Fire King Ware Made in U.S.A. From what I have learned without getting an actual Fire King guide book, is there are 11 pieces in the "charm" pattern, which are:
Dessert Bowl (4 3/4")
Soup Bowl (6")
Salad Bowl (7 3/8")
Sugar & Creamer
Cup & Saucer
Salad Plate (6 5/8")
Luncheon Plate (8 3/8")
Dinner Plate (9 1/4")
Platter (11' x 8") 


I envy my Mother's set of Fire King Jadite and Forest Green Depression glass and the endless amounts of coordinating pieces she's been able to collect from platters, mixing bowls, glass storage containers, vases, batter bowls, egg cups, candy dishes, salt and pepper shakers, etc. Lots of coordinating kitchen utensils as well.



The cups & saucers are in abundance and what I come across most often. I plan on adding to my set so that in the future I could use them for entertaining. The depression glass plates are much smaller than current day dinner plates, which makes them difficult to serve holiday meals on, but they would definitely be great for serving dessert. Do you have any family heirlooms that you treasure?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin