Sunday, January 17, 2010

natural process


:: while our christmas turned more commercialized than i hoped, my heart smiles that all those types of toys are soon forgotten about and my little one chooses her shells and tree blocks for play. and i can not say how this little nature lover loves gifts of crystals, geodes and minerals or trips to museums or nature centers.

:: a butterfly created from a pine cone, feathers and pieces of corn husks.


:: this is what became of her carrots



:: prism play


:: a girls day out, playing with beads and patterns

my little one had a nice break from school. i did not realize how much paperwork she was being given at school. handouts and dittos that are passed off as learning. and handouts sent home that fill our time completing.

with some time off, we have a nice rhythm going at home. filled with many opportunities for learning throughout the day. it's more of a natural process. and i desire days where we let my little one's curiosities and exploration lead the way. i desire her learning from self discovery.

5 comments:

ONe PiNK FiSH said...

I teach kindergarten and I whole heartedlt agree. I am aboutto assign an evenign sky watch for homework. I just want each family to go outside in the evening and sit quietly and watch the sky. The little one can then represent what he/she observed in any way they choose.
If I wouldn't want to do it, I do not expect my kiddos to either.
Love your blog by the way.
Do you have any suggestions on Waldoroph... books, sites, etc.?

christine ~ ourdayourjourney said...

Yes, it can be wonderful for a child's interest to led the way to their learning. I have some books along the right side that I refer to a lot. You Are Your Child's First Teacher is a great introduction. And then you could also look for information regarding Steiner and Anthroposophy.

boatbaby said...

Worksheets in Kindergarten? Really? It's a good thing she has such a great mama like you!

Nicole Vangen said...

I loved your photos today and I enjoy reading your blog. It is so refreshing to know there are other families similar to ours.

Sipping tea and feeling thankful for your post.
Nicole

christine ~ ourdayourjourney said...

Oh, I wish I were homeschooling. I've mentioned it a billion times. I do my best of the time we have. I see so much of a push towards academics at such a young age. this is there time to be exploring, discovering, creating & playing. i wish my husband and i felt the same way :(

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin